Saturday, September 25, 2010

Interesting Google Chrome Behavior

This is a bit of a stream of consciousness blog while I'm working through an interesting issue with Chrome . . .

Over in Bob's Third Place I mentioned that I'm trying Google Chrome out as my default browser. But I have run into a bit of a interesting issue. My day job has Outlook Web Access 2010 (OWA) implemented for access to e-mail from home. I have been successful with IE (duh!) and Firefox, but when I try to access it from Chrome, I get the fact that the site is "not available". I can switch to Firefox, for example, immediately and the site IS available and function as advertised. The only reason for this is that the site uses our companies certificate to provide SSL access. I have loaded the root cert and intermediate cert, but still seem unable to access the site via Chrome. This may not be the case as the error message is "Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out", but it's interesting that this occurs only here. I tried another secure page on our site with the same certificate and got the same problem. I suspect it's timing out trying to authenticate the root certificates even though I have them in my certificate store on the browser.

Well, I found the issue and I don't think it's with Chrome, but rather the OWA or certificate authority. By turning off the check for certificate revocation, everything was blazingly fast. A quick note to the OWA support staff is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment