Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ubuntu - Part 2

I have had some time -- not a lot to check out Ubuntu on my netbook. I use the computer like one might use a notebook, primarily at work in meetings and other places where I can't take my work laptop. My primary program needs to be something like Microsoft OneNote where I can create documents, take notes and generally organize my thoughts. Here are some of my general impressions . . .


  • Not significantly faster than Windows XP which came on the netbook.
    It does load a bit faster, but, once in operation, the overall experience is not faster. This may be due to the type of programs I run.
  • My favorite program -- OneNote -- isn't available.
    I did find BasketNotes, but it just isn't quite the same as OneNote. This goes to a point I have made many times over the years. Buy an operating system to run applications that you need, not because it's fancy or looks good. People use programs, not operating systems.
  • Like the update and program availability from Ubuntu.
    I have had several updates downloaded to the system and it seems quite efficient. I haven't downloaded many programs, but the few I have added went well.
The bottom line at this point seems to be that Ubuntu would work, but, because many of the programs I use and require for work and other interaction run on Windows, I'm unlikely to change completely to Linux on the netbook. BTW: I am not typing this on the netbook, but on my computer at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment